New Pudsey Car Park
Eric Wright Civil Engineering were employed by Northern Rail for the design and construction of a 176 parking bay extension to the car park on railway land as part of the Network Rail’s National Station Improvement Programme, funded by West Yorkshire Integrated Transport Authority (Metro) with further monies from Leeds City Council and Northern Rail.
The scope of the work comprised:
- Survey of existing S/W pipe run for design element
- Installation of ducting requirement for lighting and CCTV
- Connection of power feed from existing for pump station, including design element
- SW rising main
- New surface water drain runs and chambers
- Street lighting
- Extension of car park
- Surfacing to car park/footways
- Site clearance
- Tree and vegetation removal
The site has a natural fall to the area where the pumping station is to be constructed at the North East corner of the site. Adequate provision and planning to be carried out for the management and control of the water which will naturally drain to the lowest point.
- The ticket office was being constructed by another contractor, working concurrently
- Pedestrian management during peak times
- Busy road, traffic management was monitored and maintained
Northern Rail required the works to be undertaken whilst maintaining car parking spaces on a live railway station car park.
EWCE site management shared and gave advice to the other Contractor regarding peak hour traffic management, advised that deliveries were not to be carried out before 0900 or after 1600, as the car park was especially busy at these times and it caused avoidable disruption to the rail users as well as safety risks.
EWCE exploited the opportunity to complete the surface water drainage from the ticket office on behalf of the other site contractor, to enable the working area boundaries and agreed interfacing between to two contractors to be maintained and reduce the overall site programme.